[texworks] Poppler fonts

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Mar 30 23:24:59 CEST 2011

On 2011-03-30 at 19:57:07 +0100, Jonathan Kew wrote:

 > IMO, it would be preferable to configure poppler (for the Windows
 > build) so that it uses the standard TrueType Times/Arial/Courier
 > fonts from the Windows fonts directory. It shouldn't be necessary
 > to bundle these fonts with the program.

I don't have Windows, hence I can't try myself, but TeXworks's
poppler-font-handler.patch contains stuff like:

static struct {
     {"Times-Italic",          "n021023l.pfb", "timesi.ttf"},
     {"Times-Roman",           "n021003l.pfb", "times.ttf"},

Maybe the TrueType fonts are used as fallback fonts already and
nothing has to be changed in the code, at least if poppler knows where
to look for them.

Maybe someone could try under Windows to remove (or rename) the
"fonts" directory in order to find out whether the TrueType fonts are
found instead.

A hint for TeX Live users: All the PDF versions of the manual pages
do not contain any fonts and can be used for testing:

$ texdoc -l -M amstex
amstex	1  /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/doc/man/man1/amstex.man1.pdf

$ pdffonts /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/doc/man/man1/amstex.man1.pdf
name                        type              emb sub uni object ID
--------------------------- ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
Times-Roman                 Type 1            no  no  no       8  0
Times-Italic                Type 1            no  no  no      10  0
Times-Bold                  Type 1            no  no  no       9  0

If the "fonts" directory is removed and the manual pages are displayed
though, then obviously nothing has to be changed in the code.

This would be fine because people then can still throw the Type1 fonts
into the "fonts" directory if they prefer Helvetica to Arial.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25