[texworks] Poppler fonts

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 20:22:43 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-03-30 18:03, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> I've seen in the TeX Live repository that there is a directory
> tlpkg/texworks/fonts which contains the fonts shipped with
> Ghostscript.  I don't see these fonts in the TeXworks repository, so I
> don't know how they came into TeX Live and where they are maintained.

Yes, indeed they are not in the repository, as they are not really part
of Tw. Whether they are needed or not depends on the system's poppler
installation (on Ubuntu, for example, everything works nicely with the
default poppler package). The fonts I included in the Windows builds are
from
http://code.google.com/p/ghostscript/downloads/detail?name=ghostscript-fonts-std-8.11.tar.gz
which I can only assume are the ones that were added to the TL repository.

> These fonts are obviously needed by Poppler on Windows in order to
> display fonts if they are not embedded in PDF files.  However, these
> fonts are not the same we are using in the TeX world but the modified
> versions shipped with GS.  IMO it's better to provide the original
> fonts as provided by URW and maintained on CTAN.
>
> I already maintain them for the Ghostscript for Windows shipped with
> TeX Live.  I've now prepared a font package for TeXworks too:
>
>   http://tug.org/~kotucha/TW/fonts-base14.tar.gz
>
> TeXworks needs only 14 of the 35 URW fonts and it doesn't use any
> metric files.  The package only contains the fonts needed plus two
> README files and is therefore much smaller than that currently in the
> repository.

OK, great. I kept all files as they were mainly because I didn't know
which of them are actually needed, but since you apparently do every
cleaning up is very welcome (especially if it also saves space ;)).

> The fonts on CTAN have filenames as used by TeX but Poppler has the
> original URW filenames compiled in, hence I renamed the fonts
> accordingly (utmr8a.pfb	=> n021003l.pfb).

Yes, poppler has the file names compiled in. Which reminds me, I missed
an update to the poppler patches in the 0.4 release, which is required
for three reasons. First of all, it makes poppler look for the Zapf
Dingbats (derivative?) font instead of just disabling it. Second, it
fixes a bug that could case poppler to crash. And third, it allows
poppler to look for fonts alongside the main app (in the fonts/ folder).
My recent builds use a patch almost identical to this one, so if you use
my prebuilt binaries you should be fine. But if you intend to build
poppler & Tw yourself (in particular for the purpose of distributing
them), you should take the latest update (svn r774) into account.

HTH