[texworks] Poppler fonts

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Mar 30 18:03:43 CEST 2011

Hi,
I've seen in the TeX Live repository that there is a directory
tlpkg/texworks/fonts which contains the fonts shipped with
Ghostscript.  I don't see these fonts in the TeXworks repository, so I
don't know how they came into TeX Live and where they are maintained.

These fonts are obviously needed by Poppler on Windows in order to
display fonts if they are not embedded in PDF files.  However, these
fonts are not the same we are using in the TeX world but the modified
versions shipped with GS.  IMO it's better to provide the original
fonts as provided by URW and maintained on CTAN.

I already maintain them for the Ghostscript for Windows shipped with
TeX Live.  I've now prepared a font package for TeXworks too:

  http://tug.org/~kotucha/TW/fonts-base14.tar.gz

TeXworks needs only 14 of the 35 URW fonts and it doesn't use any
metric files.  The package only contains the fonts needed plus two
README files and is therefore much smaller than that currently in the
repository.

The fonts on CTAN have filenames as used by TeX but Poppler has the
original URW filenames compiled in, hence I renamed the fonts
accordingly (utmr8a.pfb	=> n021003l.pfb).

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25