[texworks] problem with typesetting in Ukrainian

Peter Basarab-Horwath peter_bh at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 13 21:58:40 CET 2011

Hello,

I have tried to typeset the following test article in TeXworks:

\documentclass[12pt, ukrainian]{article}
\usepackage[X2]{fontenc}
\usepackage[cp1251]{inputenc}
\usepackage[ukrainian]{babel}
\begin{document}
Мале є прикрасним.

\end{document}
but I obtain the following error message:
 ("C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\My Documents\Ukrainian Latex File.aux")
! Missing $ inserted.
<inserted text>
                $
l.6 Мале
             є прикрасним.
?

Can anyone please advise me on what is going wrong and how to remedy this problem?
My computer uses Windows XP and the cyrillic keyboard I use is a Samsung Pleomax with Ukrainian characters.
Peter Basarab-Horwath