[texworks] Call for Help: Mac builds

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 11:51:06 CET 2011

[While this thread is clearly relevant to TeXworks, it's mainly about
building Mac binaries. I wonder if there is somewhere more appropriate
to discuss things: most TeXworks *users* don't care about this type of
thing at all!]

On 05/02/2011 22:09, Joseph Wright wrote:
> Right, task one is to sort the fontconfig business, I guess.

As a first pass, I decided to have a go using poppler 0.12.0, which is
the one that Jonathan patched. (If you try to apply the patches to the
current release, it fails. Deal with one thing at a time!)

The patches apply okay (not a surprise), but 'autoconf' is not happy. If
try the Git version, I get

palladium:poppler joseph$ autoconf
configure.ac:536: warning: AC_LIB_PREPARE_PREFIX is m4_require'd but not
m4_defun'd
m4/iconv.m4:18: AM_ICONV_LINKFLAGS_BODY is expanded from...
m4/iconv.m4:152: AM_ICONV_LINK is expanded from...
m4/iconv.m4:180: AM_ICONV is expanded from...
configure.ac:536: the top level

whereas if I try the .tar.gz I get

palladium:poppler-0.12.0 joseph$ autoconf
aclocal.m4:20: warning: this file was generated for autoconf 2.63.
You have another version of autoconf.  It may work, but is not
guaranteed to.
If you have problems, you may need to regenerate the build system entirely.
To do so, use the procedure documented by the package, typically
`autoreconf'.

So I try 'autoreconf', which seems to work itself, but ./configure gives

[various perfectly normal things]
checking for libpng... (cached) no
./configure: line 22207: normal: command not found
configure: WARNING: libpng not found. disable PNG support.
./configure: line 22281: syntax error near unexpected token `FREETYPE,'
./configure: line 22281: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(FREETYPE, freetype2,'

at the point where the unpatched one dies complaining about a lack of
fontconfig.

I've no experience of 'autoconf' (being used only to "./configure &&
make && make check && sudo make install"), so I'm a bit stuck here!
--
Joseph Wright