[texworks] Scripting Updates

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 03:45:47 CET 2010

Dear Stefan,

Thanks for that.

On 26 November 2010 09:12, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2010-11-25 11:15, Paul A Norman wrote:
>>  Envisaged I'd need to overhaul any useful scripts I'd put up once you
>> guys have finished tinkering - been holding off till things stabilise.
>
> Yeah, probably. Current plans include to turn off current workarounds,
> namely opening a document - getting the text - closing it again, at
> least for files the script has no permission to access and/or
> confirmation by the user.
>
>>  I'll change the TwScript api skeleton tree accordingly - please leave
>> them where they are in the OpenOffice document I sent you, I'll fix
>> them when you're able to process it back to me.
>
> OK (thanks for the file, btw). I haven't gotten around to writing
> something - been busy working on the code ;).
> BTW: it would be great if you could send me a revised version with
> everything you got so far (e.g., what you've used and know about). That
> way, I could check that and amend it where necessary, without having to
> recreate everything.

Ok, this is turning into a catch 22. I've been waiting (before
committing pen to paper as it were) for the "good/right stuff" from
the C++ coders so I don't muck around with my own half guesses on many
of the  properties and functions.

If someone conversant with the C++ and Qt of TeXworks could whiz
through marking with that X I mention in the OO document below,
anything that is not for the scripters to worry about trying to use,
that would be a great help please - save me a tremendous amount of
time and then I could try to focus on documenting what is to be used.
Qt adds a lot to the debugger on top of the application defined
TwScriptables, and some of the things are definitely redundant as far
as scripting goes - and other things are very useful, but I often
don't know which those things are for sure.

And also where a script function name is at all misleading, unclear,
or ambiguous as to its actual function - just making a brief or any
other notes that would really help please.

Here is a link to the skeleton TwScript api tree - OpenOffice document
in case its needed again.

http://paulanorman.info/twscript/docs/TW-api%20list%20of%20properties%20functions.odt

Paul