[texworks] Printing

BPJ bpj at melroch.se
Mon Nov 22 18:31:34 CET 2010

2010-11-21 11:55, Paul A Norman skrev:
> Thanks Stefan,
>
>   * Paul, we don't need to call the scripts, we can call the C++
> functions directly ;).
>
> I looked at it as an opportunity to see whether calling scripts was
> heading into ver 0.4 .. and then whether I need to prepare scripts in
> the function form you suggested previously might be needed for that?
>
> Paul
>
> On 21 November 2010 21:41, Stefan Löffler<st.loeffler at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I like the combination of the two ideas: informing the user, and
>> offering to open the file in the default viewer instead. Since Karl and
>> Jonathan agree with me, I've just committed code for that.
>>
>> A few notes:
>>   * Paul, we don't need to call the scripts, we can call the C++
>> functions directly ;).
>>   * I did not go the elaborate way with menus, submenus, several menu
>> items, etc. There's just "Print Pdf..." which then displays a message
>> box with the information and the option to open the file in the default
>> viewer instead. I think this is the easiest way to this and probably
>> also the one most users will understand best. Experimental features may
>> be part of the development versions, but then they will most likely just
>> replace the "we can't print" code - so there shouldn't be the need for
>> several menu items (or even third-party program specific options)
>>
>> Thanks for the ideas!
>> -Stefan

Would it be possible to make a script which just tells the system
to print the output file with ghostscript?  Since there is a
checkbox "Allow scripts to run system commands" in Edit >
Preferences > Scripts I guess it would.  That would be very useful
indeed. As it is now I have to keep opening/closing the output
file in some pdf viewer, which is kind of tedious.  While the TW
preview is useful, it can't replace a printout for checking the
fine details.  I also have a vision condition which makes it
harder to use the TW previewer magnifier, and to get an idea
what the whole page looks like from the screen.

/bpj