[texworks] (no subject)

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 07:25:53 CET 2010

Hi,

On 2010-11-21 20:37, Thomas Planting wrote:

> I get the following error when trying to typeset. I have no idea how I
> should fix this.
>

> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11 (MiKTeX 2.9)
>
> entering extended mode
>
> ! I can't write on file `test.log'.
>
> Please type another transcript file name:

this seems more like a general TeX problem than a TeXworks problem as
typesetting is performed by a separate program.
Anyway, maybe one of these points help you:
 * Do you have a file test.log which may be open in another application?
 * Do you have sufficient permissions, disk space, etc. to create such a
file (you could try manually to check)
 * Are you working in a directory (i) that has spaces in the path, (ii)
that has special (i.e., non-ASCII) characters in the path, (iii) that is
on a network drive? In any of these cases, I'd suggest moving the file
to a simple path first (e.g., c:\test\).

HTH