[texworks] Scripting: import libraries, retrieving saving text. web location, Api

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 20:02:12 CET 2010

Hi,

Am 2010-11-11 11:01, schrieb Paul A Norman:
> On 11 November 2010 19:51, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Am 2010-11-08 12:17, schrieb Paul A Norman:
>>> Got a bit more done on the TW.target hierarchy.
>>>
>>> Stefan, I'll be able to pass you the source for all that once its
>>> useful - even as an Open Office document or LaTeX from there, but if
>>> you're not using MS Windows, the actual help generator may run under
>>> WINE but would require a couple of things if it would work there at
>>> all. If you still have access to Windows I can give you the .hnd file
>>> for HelpNdoc, that will all end up on the web with the 'finished' help
>>> any way.
>>>
>>> Any one with any Scripting Api or related notes, even if rough, please
>>> throw them at me.
>>>
>>> I'll do my best looking through the .cpp(s) but I am not a native C++ developer.
>> If you want, I can certainly give you a hand here (e.g., writing (some
>> of) the function documentation) if you send me the relevant sources and
>> tell me what conventions to follow. (and if I find the time ;)).
>>
> That would be a really great help thanks.
>
> Time is the thing for me too, I can only do so much of this each day.
> And sometimes nothing. I am going to aim at ten Api points a day to
> get through - with hopefully some better days as well.
>
> Would Open Office be ok for us to work in?
>
> I could generate an APi list when I finish writing the skeleton if you
> like, and pass it to you for "revisions" - don't worry about
> formatting it.
>
> (Just use OpenOffice Menu:// Edit / Changes / Record
>
> You choose it again before saving the document.)
>
> Then I'll edit it back in,  and format it, in the help file generator.

Great. OpenOffice should be no problem.

> [...]
>> ideally, this documentation should be implementation-independent, i.e.
>> be useful for Python/lua as well)
> Yes while focussing on QtScript (which is what we ourselves will use
> mostly internally along with a bit of Python as it appears now) I
> thought that  I'll start out doing what I know (QtScrpit) and let
> things develop from there.
>
> I've been looking at it from what you're saying "ideally, this
> documentation should be implementation-independent" and have seen it
> as  worthwhile to use  Qt types and casts, as our Rosetta stone to the
> diverse script's equivalents as explained below.
>
> So I've been thinking to introduce the script writers to the
> JavaScript conventions / types and relate them to Qt's equivalents
> from the beginning with an introductory section and equivalence
> tables.
>
> Yet make it possible for any one to glance at the Api and have a good
> immediate sense of what to do (examples).
>
> I had always thought to take the "educational" route, but introduce it
> in a way that eases them into it gently. Explain  what is actually
> happening as much,  and as simply, as possible.
>
> Whether most "scripters" yet know it or not, they will actually have
> encountered most of the needed concepts already in different ways in
> other things they have already done, even in the browser technologies.
>
> There will be real pay offs I think - especially as QtScript --
> related to the underlying Qt framework, is appearing in many more
> applications now, as is JavaScript in many fomrs being used far more
> widely outside the browser.
>
> Also, it will be easier for many QtScript/JavaScript, Lua, and Python
> people to have the same Qt reference material to work off - every one
> on the same page, able to relate things through the realities of the
> actual Qt underlying framework directly to their own environment.
>
> Rather than thinking,  'what is the JavaScript equivalent of this Lua
> thing', instead: 'what is Python doing here related to Qt, and from
> that point of reference what does JavaScript/QtScript do with that
> same Qt thing' - common point of reference less room for confusion.
>
> Plus really importantly  this will prepare people both for using
> findchildren type functions more accurately, and ui(s) development
> where you need to think a bit in Qt terms.
>
> ui is where a lot ot people will want to head - so carefully and
> slowly introducing any necessary Qt concepts in an educational way
> from the beginning will again save a lot of Mail List work and lessen
> the steepness of the learning curve.
>
> If we get the writing of this stuff right now - we won't have to keep
> trying to explain it later or can just refer to a reference page or
> link.
>
> I'm sort of doing that kind of moving people from known things to new
> things in a different way with the intros to TW, TW.app and TW.target,
> trying to draw comparisons to known working models that some will

OK, so we'll stick to the Qt internal notations, plus some notes
somewhere that tell people how these things relate to QtScript, Lua,
Python, ... Fine with me.

>> * What to do with functions that are not intended (or useful) for
>> scripting? Should these be included in the documentation (marked
>> "internal", for example)? Or just omitted to make things cleaner and easier?
>>
> I have been  thinking all along that  we'd better list them and
> comment them as either not available, or inaccessible, otherwise when
> Scripting picks up in usage volume, *someone* will just have to answer
> questions about them time and again on the Mail List :) :)

Sounds reasonable. Especially since I have a vague idea just who might
belong to the group of "someone"s ;).

Cheers,
Stefan

PS: We probably should continue discussions about details off the
mailing list so we don't spam people with (from their POV) irrelevant stuff.