[texworks] message from TeXworks user(MiKTeX)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 12:32:24 CEST 2010

On 30/08/2010 9:24 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 30 August 2010 marksaul at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>  > Can anyone help me?
>  >
>  > I create a Miktex file, no problem.  It gives me a PDF--beautiful
>  >
>  > I want to save the PDF to disk.  How do I do it?
>
> It's on your disk already.  You already said "It gives me a PDF".
>
> Is it sooooo difficult to craeate a directory listing on Windows?

It's very easy to create a directory listing, but by default it is
fatally misleading:  all recognized file extensions are suppressed.  So
the PDF file will be created with a .pdf extension, but the directory
listing will not show it.

This is a boneheaded decision made years and years ago at Microsoft, and
they seem to think they're stuck with it.  But users aren't:  one of
the "Folder Options" in Explorer is called "Hide extensions for known
file types", and this should always be unchecked.

Duncan Murdoch