[texworks] TeXworks on MAC OS X 10.6.4

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Sun Jul 11 19:41:25 CEST 2010

Le 11 juil. 2010 à 18:58, Hugh Bowen a écrit :

> I have a problem, and I think it is with TeXworks.  I've recently purchased
> a Macbook Pro, on which I installed TexLive 2009 and TeXworks, along with
> the latex package powerdot.
>
> To test that I had installed powerdot correctly (in the right directory),
> I copied a presentation that I had developed on my Linux machine previously
> (Mandriva 2007, tetex, powerdot 1.3, etc) to see if it would run.

Your log file says you installed powerdot in ~/Library/texmf. Why? Powerdot is part of TeXLive itself part of MacTeX, so it's already installed.

Here in Terminal with pretest MacTeX-2010 (the situation should be the same with MacTeX-2009 AFAIK):

$ kpsewhich powerdot.cls
/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/powerdot/powerdot.cls

See /Library/TeX/Root/texmf-dist/tex/latex/powerdot/ which leads to the same location in the Finder.

> When I ran TeXworks for pdflatex, an empty pdf file was created.  When
> I ran TeXworks for xelatex output (assume postscript), no output file
> was created.  I append the two log files for your inspection.  As a further
> check, I opened a terminal window, went to the file directory, entered
> "latex filename" twice, and saw filename.dvi in the directory; dvipdf
> created the pdf file in this manner. So it seems like it is a
> TeXworks problem.

Your two log files end abruptly without indication of output, indicating your pdfLaTeX and XeLaTeX runs were interrupted in the middle.

By the way, XeLaTeX doesn't produce PostScript output: it produces output in extended dvi format XDVI, converted on-the-fly by xdvipdfmx to PDF.

Doing a quick test with one of the examples in the powerdot distro (as I'm not a powerdot user myself), it seems powerdot requires going the old-fashioned TEX -> DVI -> PS -> PDF route instead of the direct TEX -> PDF route offered by pdfLaTeX. How odd!

So it seems with powerdot you cannot use either of pdfLaTeX or XeLaTeX. You have to create a new processing tool in Preferences > Typesetting > Processing tools. Press the + button, and define a new tool as follows (calling it dviLaTeX for example):