[texworks] \includegraphics prlem with xelatex on Mac Ox

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jul 9 19:34:36 CEST 2010

On Jul 9, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 9 juil. 2010 à 17:49, Kaushik Sinha a écrit :
>
>> I figured out the out the problem. It seems on-the-fly conversion of
>> EPS files to PDFs is not supported on TexLive 2009.  So if I open
>> the eps file save it as pdf and then include this pdf file to my latex
>> document using includegraphics then xelatex works fine on mac.
>>
>> I have been told that on the fly conversion of EPS to PDF will be
>> supported in TexLive 2010.
>> Waiting to get that one :-)
>
> Regarding on-the-fly conversion, you've got to activate shell-escape to allow pdfLaTeX to run shell commands. See Preferences > Typesetting > Processing tools, select pdfLaTeX and press the Edit button, then make sure there's a
>
> 	--shell-escape
>
> line in the Arguments.
>
> However, that's for pdfLaTeX only. XeLaTeX as of TeX Live 2010 allows this by default I think, and in any case I'm not even sure this is necessary: in the log file for the XeLaTeX run in my first message in this thread, there was no indication of on-the-fly conversion
>
> 	File: new_picture.eps Graphic file (type eps)
> 	<new_picture.eps>
>
> as opposed to the log file for a pdfLaTeX run
>
> 	Package epstopdf Info: Source file: <new_picture.eps>
> 	(epstopdf)                    date: 2010-07-09 09:46:12
> 	(epstopdf)                    size: 95071 bytes
> 	(epstopdf)             Output file: <new_picture-eps-converted-to.pdf>
> 	(epstopdf)                    date: 2010-07-09 18:52:17
> 	(epstopdf)                    size: 73678 bytes
> 	(epstopdf)             Command: <repstopdf --outfile=new_picture-eps-converted-
> 	to.pdf new_picture.eps>
> 	(epstopdf)             \includegraphics on input line 8.
> 	Package epstopdf Info: Output file is already uptodate.
>
> 	<new_picture-eps-converted-to.pdf, id=1, 963.6pt x 722.7pt>
> 	File: new_picture-eps-converted-to.pdf Graphic file (type pdf)
>
> 	<use new_picture-eps-converted-to.pdf>
>
> If XeLaTeX in TeX Live 2009 doesn't have shell-escape on by default and it is indeed required for including EPS file, then all you need to do is add the option
>
> 	-shell-escape
>
> (notice the single hyphen at the beginning instead of the double hyphen for pdfLaTeX) in the arguments of the XeLaTeX processing tool.
>
> Hope this works,
>
> Bruno Voisin

Howdy,

I don't think that's the problem. I believe (I'm sure others know the truth) that xdvipdfmx can handle eps inclusion directly (well, maybe it does a conversion in tmp on the fly --- if so it does a nice job of cleaning up even that) so the graphi(c/x) package need only know what specials to pass to xdvipdfmx.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)