[texworks] PDF support for not-synctex compilers

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon May 31 15:43:14 CEST 2010

Hi,

First of all I'd like to say that I have no experience with Lilypond, so
please excuse my ignorance regarding the workflow.

Am 2010-05-27 21:08, schrieb Helge Kruse:
> I use TeXworks for my LaTeX works as well as for editing Lilypond
> scores. That works fine in general. But the PDF viewer does not close
> the PDF file and it is locked until the PDF viewer is closed.

I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly. AFAIK, Tw does not
lock the pdf (in the way Adobe Reader does, for example, causing
subsequent LaTeX runs to fail because of "can't open file for output").
It is of course open, and is monitored for changes, but normally the
file can be changed by external applications without problems.

> Since Lilypond does not has any idea what synctex is, it fails to
> write the next PDF file.

What does the one (synctex) have to do with the other (inability to
write pdf files)?

> Would it be possible to close the PDF file (not necessarily the
> viewer) when the Typeset is started?

When the typeset is started from where?
Right now, only the pdf viewer window can be closed (this may change
sometime in the future when tabbing is introduced, but there are no
concrete plans for that so far).

It would help a lot if you could provide the following information:
 * What operating system, version of Tw/Lilipond, TeX-distro are you using?
 * How are you using Lilypond? How do you run it? What are its input and
output files?
 * For which of those does the problem occur?

HTH