[texworks] ArabTeX and TeXworks

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Thu May 20 11:14:13 CEST 2010

Le 20 mai 2010 à 07:23, Helge Kruse a écrit :

> Alternatively, you may wish to use a different encoding (such as
> UTF-8) to avoid loss of data.
>
> Adding the line
>  % !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
> at the top stops complaining and the compiled PDF looks like Arabic.

Thanks for reminding this, I always forget. It ensures TeXworks uses UTF-8 for opening and saving this particular .tex file, independent of the setting in the editor prefs.

The original encoding names are UTF-8 for TeXworks, yielding the comment line

	% !TEX encoding = UTF-8

and UTF-8 Unicode for TeXShop, yielding

	% !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

but for compatibility TeXworks understands both.

More precisely, the available encodings are those known to Qt, listed at

	http://qt.nokia.com/doc/4.6/qtextcodec.html

namely

	Apple Roman
	Big5
	Big5-HKSCS
	CP949
	EUC-JP
	EUC-KR
	GB18030-0
	IBM 850
	IBM 866
	IBM 874
	ISO 2022-JP
	ISO 8859-1 to 10
	ISO 8859-13 to 16
	Iscii-Bng, Dev, Gjr, Knd, Mlm, Ori, Pnj, Tlg, and Tml
	JIS X 0201
	JIS X 0208
	KOI8-R
	KOI8-U
	MuleLao-1
	ROMAN8
	Shift-JIS
	TIS-620
	TSCII
	UTF-8
	UTF-16
	UTF-16BE
	UTF-16LE
	UTF-32
	UTF-32BE
	UTF-32LE
	Windows-1250 to 1258
	WINSAMI2

They are the encodings in the Preferences > Source > Encoding menu.

For compatibility with TeXShop, some synonyms are defined in

	http://code.google.com/p/texworks/source/browse/trunk/src/TeXDocument.cpp#802

namely

	MacOSRoman		= Apple Roman
	IsoLatin		= ISO 8859-1
	IsoLatin2		= ISO 8859-2
	IsoLatin5		= ISO 8859-5
	IsoLatin9		= ISO 8859-9
	SJIS_X0213		= Shift-JIS
	EUC_JP			= EUC-JP
	UTF-8 Unicode		= UTF-8
	Standard Unicode	= UTF-16
	Windows Cyrillic	= Windows-1251
	KOI8_R			= KOI8-R
	GB 18030		= GB18030-0

The above info is taken from a previous post by Jonathan Kew, see

	http://tug.org/pipermail/texworks/2010q1/002426.html

Bruno Voisin