[texworks] ArabTeX and TeXworks

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Thu May 20 07:28:57 CEST 2010

Le 20 mai 2010 à 02:16, Juan Acevedo a écrit :

> I am using ArabTeX, with the utf8 package so that it can use Unicode Arabic input. If I run the file from TeXShop, things look alright, but if I compile from TeXworks, my Unicode Arabic comes out as black boxes.
>
> Binary preferences seem to be the same for both editors, using TL2009 files system-wide. TW is v.0.2.3 (r.466), running under Mac OSX 10.6.3.
>
> I wonder what is happening, and if there is a fix for this behaviour.
>
> Here is a minimal file:
> --------------------------
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \usepackage{arabtex,utf8}
> \begin{document}
> \setcode{utf8}
> \RL{salAm}
>
> \RL{سلام عليكم}
> \end{document}

You need to make sure both TeXShop and TeXworks use UTF-8 encoding in their editor, and the same typesetting engine (ie pdfLaTeX).

Regarding the editor encoding, see

- For TeXShop: Preferences > Source > Encoding

- For TeXworks: Preferences > Editor > Encoding

Regarding the typesetting engine:

- For TeXShop: LaTeX in the toolbar, Pdftex in the Typeset menu

- For TeXworks: pdfLaTeX in the toolbar

Here's what I'm getting with these settings (Mac OS X 10.6.3, TeXShop 2.33, TeXworks 0.3 r567):