[texworks] message from TeXworks user

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue May 4 17:06:45 CEST 2010

On May 4, 2010, at 9:58 AM, Joseph Wright wrote:

> On 04/05/2010 12:34, Stephen Corson wrote:
>> I am new to TeXworks but not new to LateX. I have just bought a mac and am using TeXworks to wirte my thesis and papers. I have noticed when I use the command \ref{} or \cite{} I do not get a box opening with my labels or bib items like I used to get in WinEdit. Is there a way to enable this feature?
>>
>> Stephen Corson
>
> Hello Stephen,
>
> At present this sort of thing is on the "wish list" for TeXworks. Development is very much ongoing, but the version number of TeXworks does indicate that it is still "pre-release" (although many people use it as their main or only TeX editor).
> --
> Joseph Wright

Howdy,

You can try out TeXshop (TeXworks is a cross-platform application that is modelled after TeXShop, which is Mac only). Open your .bib files with BibDesk (installed as part of the MacTeX distribution) and then, when you do a \ref{} or \cite{} you can press F5 and a list of matches will come up (for \ref{} it won't look into input or include files --- Sigh...). If you start to write a label name and then press F5 only matching labels will show up in the list. Then click on the one you want and press return or tab.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)