[texworks] Feature request: Window Menu show asterisk beside unsaved file names

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 18:32:00 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am 2010-04-15 12:24, schrieb Paul A Norman:
> I wrote the last message thinking about user responses when they click
> on the Tw menu: Help/"email to the mailing list",
>
> I assume that someting like
>
> mailto:tw at rw.com?subject=Message%20From%20TexWorks%20User
>
> Is going on here, I have found that can bring a lot of stuff in with
> unfoimratted questions, and as it also means many of the folk may
> unaware that there is a searchible list of previous messages, is it
> worht also having an item on the Help Menu to refer them to a page
> that would introduce them to the message list, or even have a form to
> be filled out to channel things a bit.

I'll leave this decision to Jonathan. Something like "Visit the mailing
list" would certainly make it a tad easier to find the archives, but
then again it can already be accessed fairly easily by going to the Tw
homepage (for item in the menu) and click on "mailing list" from there.
In fact, "visit the mailing list" is formally impossible. You can visit
the archives, and possibly a settings page, but not the list itself.

> Or alternatively (quicker solution) What about adding a bit to the
> call to mailto:  more can be added - try this in a browser window for
> testing proof of concept, should work on most systems, definitely does
> under Windows.
>
> Perhaps Tw could insert the Tw release and ver number in that string?

This sounds like a good idea. Of course there's always the question of
privacy, but I guess providing some basic information like the OS and
svn rev number shouldn't hurt. Besides, users who don't want to provide
that info at all (in which case the probability that they will get much
help is very low, though) can still remove those lines from the mail.
I've posted a patch for this on GC
(http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=338).

Regards,