[texworks] graphics problem

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Wed Feb 24 12:51:51 CET 2010

Le 24 févr. 2010 à 11:35, Benny Lautrup a écrit :

> So, we are left with the problem of the missing digits.

After quick testing:

- Mathematica 7.0.1 (either using the menu item File > Save Selection As, or through the Export command) embeds by default what it calls "nonstandard fonts". I assume this means all fonts but the LaserWriter 35. For EPS export only, there is an option EmbeddedFonts governing this (i.e. "whether to include nonstandard fonts"), set to true by default, but no other option for embedding all fonts or subsetting them. Probably a topic for Mathematica support or the Mathematica fora.

- After testing several EPS-to-PDF conversion tools (apart from Acrobat Pro, that is), it turns out that epspdf, mentioned earlier  in this thread <http://tex.aanhet.net/epspdf/>, and epstopdf are both scripts based on GhostScript which embed and subset fonts if not contained in the original EPS file. epstopdf, in particular, has an option --[no]embed (on by default) to govern this. Both are included in TeX Live 2009 on Mac and Linux, I don't know what's the situation on Windows or with MikTeX but in any case epspdf can be installed from the URL above.

As an example, here are Mathematica EPS and PDF exports of a graph and the results of applying epstopdf, epspdf and (for good measure) the OS X built-in pstopdf tool:

test-math-eps.eps		Mathematica's EPS export
test-math-pdf.pdf		Mathematica's PDF export
test-math-epstopdf.pdf		EPS converted to PDF using epstopdf
test-math-epspdf.pdf		EPS converted to PDF using epspdf
test-math-pstopdf.pdf		EPS converted to PDF using pstopdf

Bruno