[texworks] graphics problem

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Wed Feb 24 08:54:54 CET 2010

Le 24 févr. 2010 à 08:29, Benny Lautrup a écrit :

> There is a graphics problem in the TeXworks version 0.3r514 delivered with MixTeX 2.8.
>
> The enclosed files isolate the problem.
>
> What happens is that the graphics display misses elements after a recompilation.
>
> I strongly suspect that this is the cause of the irregular crashes I have encountered in 0.3r567build2 and written about before.

After compilation, test.pdf looks fine here on the Mac with r367: namely, preview window looks exactly the same -- save for the bounding box -- as the original graph.pdf.

So what you seem to imply is something wrong with the built-in poppler libraries in the MikTeX version of TeXworks.

Two verifications come to mind:

- Does test.pdf look fine in other PDF viewers (such as Adobe Reader)?

- Your graph.pdf seems to have been prepared with Mathematica. Does the same happen with PDF files of other origins? Mathematica's PDF output can be problematic (I use it daily). For example uses of transparency (as produced by Opacity) yield PDF output claimed  problematic by Illustrator and later when included by pdfTeX. Here that's not the case, and pdfTeX returns no warning in the log, but the fact that graph.pdf is in PDF 1.4 format instead of the more common PDF 1.3 may play a role. I couldn't find indications of which PDF versions pdfTeX accepts for graphics inclusion.

Bruno Voisin