[texworks] message from TeXworks user

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Sat Feb 13 11:40:50 CET 2010

Le 13 févr. 2010 à 01:53, Daniel Becker a écrit :

> Am 13.02.2010 um 01:38 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
>
>> Convert them to PDF.  If you are using TeX Live, type
>>
>>  sam2p <basename>.bmp <basename>.pdf
>>
>> on the command line.
>
> ... are you sure that sam2p comes with TeXLive? Not here (MacTeX-version of TL 2009).

MacTeX installs the convert tool from ImageMagick, so that

	convert <basename>.bmp <basename>.pdf

There's also the built-in OS X tool sips, so that

	sips --setProperty format png <basename>.bmp --out <basename>.png

This can be automated with the epstopdf package, provided you have modified you pdfLaTeX processing tool (in Preferences > Typesetting) by adding the --shell-escape argument in case it's not there by default (I don't remember, mine has this argument). See

	texdoc epstopdf

Then you can write

	\usepackage{epstopdf}

and either of

	\epstopdfDeclareGraphicsRule{.bmp}{png}{.png}{%
	  convert #1 \OutputFile
	  }

or

	\epstopdfDeclareGraphicsRule{.bmp}{png}{.png}{%
	  sips --setProperty format png #1 --out \OutputFile
	  }

then

	\AppendGraphicsExtensions{.bmp}

Tested here with both sips and convert, seems to work.

It's possible that XeLaTeX can deal with BMP format with no preliminary or on-the-fly conversion. In the tests I just did it doesn't complain

	File: testgraph.bmp Graphic file (type QTm)
	 <use  "testgraph.bmp" > [1

	] (./test-tw.aux) )

but the BMP graphics is not visible in the PDF output.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin