[texworks] Using .ps/.eps figures with TexWorks

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 07:34:49 CET 2010

Hi,

On 2010-01-28 01:35, Spencer Klein wrote:
> Please forgive what is probably a stupid question.  I am a long-term
> .tex user, trying to convert to TexWorks.  I have TexWorks 0.1,
> running on a Windows XP.

Just FYI: the latest stable version of Tw is 0.2.3, and the latest
experimental builds are 0.3.x. You may want to consider upgrading Tw
(though this is unrelated to your problem, AFAIK).

> I am trying to .tex a file containing .eps figures, and keep getting
> the error message:
>
> Latex Error: Unknown graphics extension .eps.
>
> This happens even with a file that ran perfectly on Miktex, and also
> on the Cornell arXiv server:
> http://arxiv.org/abs/0901.1161

A few things spring to my mind here:
1) If it runs on MiKTeX, it should run in Tw since Tw just runs MiKTeX
commands under the hood.
2) pdflatex doesn't support .eps (directly), AFAIK. Since Tw is
pdf-oriented, only pdf typesetting tools are defined by default. See
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/AdvancedTypesettingTools for
information on how to set up other workflows.
3) IIRC, the epstopdf package can be used to include .eps figures in
documents processed with pdflatex (it converts the .eps files to .pdf
files on the fly). Most recent versions of MiKTeX may use this
automatically, but apparently that's not the case in your situation.

HTH