[texworks] Commenting pdfs?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Jan 20 15:15:33 CET 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 7:59 AM, Stefan Löffler wrote:

> Yeah, this was my intention indeed. Let's face it: most people use
> LaTeX
> for complex (e.g. books) and/or scientific purposes. In both cases,
> usually several people are involved (e.g. co-authors, supervisors,
> lectors, reviewers, etc.). So working in groups is an important factor
> for LaTeX IMO. Unfortunately, there are not many tools that facilitate
> this process, especially when it comes to sharing documents with
> people
> who know little or nothing about LaTeX. I've even seen people printing
> out the PDF, making comments by hand, scanning the result and
> sending it
> back as image (this is not as rare as it should be). So I think it
> would
> be great if we could improve on that situation. After all Tw endeavors
> to lower the barrier to the TeX world ;).

Heartily agree.

The ideal situation would be support for things like:

  - creating automatic comments to markup on the .pdf things which
previously had to be indicated w/ a colour pen/cil:
    - circling references
    - putting a ``V'' like mark to highlight all footnotes
    - putting text queries and index entries in the margin

  - upon receiving a .pdf(s) w/ comments, place them in the job folder
w/ suffixes based on the review names (myproject.reviewerA.pdf)
    - the system when one typesets would find any such files
    - extract the comments
    - parse out the automatically placed ones
    - create a file which contained all such comments for each reviewer
    - integrate all such comments into the source code.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer