[texworks] Editor messes with Latin1 encoded files (Umlaute destroyed)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Thu Jan 7 01:33:24 CET 2010

Le 7 janv. 2010 à 00:12, Matthias Pospiech a écrit :

> I still have collegues that do not even now what an encoding is

Same here, no later than on Monday when correcting a colleague's document which had

	\usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}

part of a preamble which had been copied by my colleague from another person's usual preamble because it seemed to work, without my colleague having the faintest idea of what each piece of this preamble exactly did. And actually my colleague happened to use ISO-Latin-1 in the editor he used.

>  and will very likely habe latin1 files.

I've seen all of Macintosh OS Roman, Windows Roman ANSI and ISO-Latin-1, and even more exotic encodings. If it were only for me I'd be happy to use UTF-8 exclusively, but as soon as you collaborate with other persons it's close to impossible. Many of the LaTeXers I interact with for work still use {\it or {\sc and see no valuable reason for changing since "it works", and some even use \\ at the end of any paragraph and at the beginning of any blank line. And there are some which do not see the need of using any other format than TIFF for figure inclusion, since it works with MikTeX (so they say). So Unicode and UTF-8... don't even think about it!

Bruno Voisin