[texworks] Editor messes with Latin1 encoded files (Umlaute destroyed)

Matthias Pospiech matthias.pospiech at gmx.de
Thu Jan 7 00:12:36 CET 2010

Bruno Voisin schrieb:
> - Or you can add at the beginning of the file the appropriate comment telling TeXworks which encoding to use for opening and saving this particular file. As mentioned by one poster, the syntax is, respectively,
>
> 	!TeX encoding = ISO-8859-1
> 	!TeX encoding = windows-1252
>
> And, since you seem to be using LaTeX, you also need to make sure LaTeX interprets the encoding correctly, by writing respectively
>
> 	\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
> 	\usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}

I do not know any windows editor that uses ansinew, and no linux editor
that uses latin1 by default. I have only latin1 and utf8 files.
And though I could live with utf8 only in case I would only use
texworks, I still have collegues that do not even now what an encoding
is and will
very likely habe latin1 files.

Matthias