[texworks] Specifying output directory with texworks

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 09:39:50 CET 2010

Hi,

On 2010-01-04 02:17, Powell, Olly wrote:

> Could somebody please suggest how to tell texworks (or miktex)  where
> to write the output .pdf file, on windows XP?    On my machine,
> running over a network, I find the pdf files turn up in my windows
> folder, instead of the directory the tex files are located.

This is odd. I don't know if the MiKTeX developers made any changes to
that part of the code, but the normal procedure for typesetting is:
1) Change to the directory where the (root) TeX file is located.
2) Run typesetting tool with the full path to the tool and the name of
the file to process.

Normally, with this you should end up with the output located where the
(root) tex file was. That it ends up in the windows directory (of all
possibilities) is vary strange since there shouldn't be any file
involved in the typesetting process located there...

For the purpose of debugging, I'd suggest to create a .bat file (say,
pwd.bat) containing the single line
cd

Save it somewhere and define it as a new typesetting tool in Tw. If you
run it, it should simply print the current working directory in the log
window, which should be the directory where the (root) tex file is located.

In case it's not: what is your exact configuration? Is the .tex file
located on a network share? If so, is it mapped to a local drive letter,
or is it only accessible through the "My Network" (or whatever it's
called). It may well be that Tw doesn't cope properly with the latter
case...

HTH