[texworks] Compiling on windows with Mingw

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 15:54:44 CET 2009

2009/12/13 Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com>

> 2009/12/11 Ignasi Furió <ignasi.furio at uib.cat>
>
> The output result is attached. Now it complains about
>>
>> d:/kde/bin/../lib/libqtmain.a(qtmain_win.o):qtmain_win.cpp:(.text+0x1c2):
>> undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'
>>

> Googling left me with a few possible causes. After trying to reproduce the
> problem myself, I have a suspicion. MinGW seems to still ship with gcc 3.x,
> which is quite outdated. Therefore, they also began providing the new 4.x
> series, but apparently not yet by default. The 4 in Mingw4 may suggest,
> however, that it was built with gcc 4.x, which would make the libraries
> almost certainly incompatible.
> For now, I see two alternatives. On the one hand, you could try other KDE
> mirrors with the Mingw option (instead of Mingw4) to see if any of them
> still provide all the libs we need. On the other hand, you could try to grab
> the mingw gcc 4.x suite. This can't be done with the automated installer,
> however, and I haven't tried to get it up and running myself, yet. I hope
> it's not that difficult, though. Just make sure you run the correct versions
> (in case you have both the 3.x series and the 4.x series, eventually). You
> can check the version by issuing `g++ --version` on the command line.

OK, I tested it now, and it works. Here's what I did:
1) Make sure you have 7-zip > 4.61 for opening tar.lzma
2) http://www.mingw.org/ and click on "Downloads". On the following page,
open the "GCC Version 4" folder and the "Current Release" folder inside.
>From there, download gcc-full-*-mingw32-bin-2.tar.lzma
(gcc-full-4.4.0-mingw32-bin-2.tar.lzma at the time of writing). Open the
contents with 7-zip and extract the folders to C:\MinGW, replacing existing
files.
3) Rebuild hunspell
4) Add the following lines to your TeXworks.pro (in the place where you edit
it before):
    QT =
    LIBS += -lQtScript4 -lQtScriptTools4 -lQtXml4 -lQtGui4 -lQtCore4
5) Rebuild Tw

Of you confirm that this works, I'll update the guide.
Cheers,
-Stefan