[texworks] Compiling on windows with Mingw

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 12:36:11 CET 2009

2009/12/11 Ignasi Furió <ignasi.furio at uib.cat>

> El Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:49:22 +0100, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com>
> vau escriure:
>
>  Oh no, they changed their nomenclature _again_...
>> Please select "MinGW4" on the second page (compiler mode). Then you
>> should find all those packages in the latest respository, without the
>> -mingw suffixes.
>> If this solves your problem I'll update the wiki page.
>>

> I've tested with MinGW4 option. I've found all libraries but TeXworks
> doesn't compile.
> I've modified TeXworks.pro and run qmake and mingw32-make.
> This process finishes with error because it cannot find
> libQtScript.a.
> Qtlibs under /KDE/libs are libQtScript4.a instead of libQtScript.a.
> I've changed Makefile.Release LIBS line accordingly to new names.
> Then cleaned (mingw32-make clean) and compiled again (mingw32-make).

Sounds like you're quite proficient with programming. This is great :).
What is not so great is that apparently the simple normal procedure with
qmake && mingw32-make apparently no longer works in the mingw4 version.
Changing Makefile.Release is an easy work around, of course, but in general
not a great solution because the Makefile.* get overwritten after each run
of qmake. Anyway, I'll have to look into this a little more.

The output result is attached. Now it complains about

> d:/kde/bin/../lib/libqtmain.a(qtmain_win.o):qtmain_win.cpp:(.text+0x1c2):
> undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'

Googling left me with a few possible causes. After trying to reproduce the
problem myself, I have a suspicion. MinGW seems to still ship with gcc 3.x,
which is quite outdated. Therefore, they also began providing the new 4.x
series, but apparently not yet by default. The 4 in Mingw4 may suggest,
however, that it was built with gcc 4.x, which would make the libraries
almost certainly incompatible.
For now, I see two alternatives. On the one hand, you could try other KDE
mirrors with the Mingw option (instead of Mingw4) to see if any of them
still provide all the libs we need. On the other hand, you could try to grab
the mingw gcc 4.x suite. This can't be done with the automated installer,
however, and I haven't tried to get it up and running myself, yet. I hope
it's not that difficult, though. Just make sure you run the correct versions
(in case you have both the 3.x series and the 4.x series, eventually). You
can check the version by issuing `g++ --version` on the command line.

HTH. Hopefully I find the time to experiment a little more with this - or
you come up with a simple working method for the guide.

-Stefan