[texworks] Using BibTeX in TeXworks

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 07:53:48 CEST 2009

Hi,

On 2009-09-16 23:43, Colin McLarty wrote:
> I can’t find anything in the TeXworks manual about using BibTeX.  And
> in fact when I try  using TeXworks on a file I have been writing in
> WinEdt, then  TeXworks ignores all  the BibTeX.

Just for clarification: how do you use BibTeX? As a seperate .bib file,
or as inline \bibitem commands?
Additionally, how did you obtain TeXworks? From the official Google Code
page, from Alain's builds, from MikTeX, or did you compile it yourself?

>  I do indeed have the edit function set on pdfLaTeX + MakeIndex +
> Bibtex.   I am sure I’m missing something very simple, but I don’t
> know what.  How do I find out how to make it work?

What do you mean by "edit function set on pdfLaTeX + ... + BibTeX"? Do
you mean the typesetting engine (e.g. from the drop-down menu in the
upper left, or from the typeset menu)? If so, how is it defined (see the
preferences dialog for that)?

Are there any error/warning messages? Did you try running LaTeX/BibTeX
several times? Did you try running BibTeX manually (from the command
line)? Do you get a .bib file?

Many questions, I hope with your answers we can get to the bottom of
this and solve your problem.
Cheers