[texworks] Icon Update

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 07:56:41 CEST 2009

On 2009-07-14 12:16, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> Le 14 juil. 09 à 08:25, Alain Delmotte a écrit :
>
>> How do you distinguish between TeXworks produced and, let's say,
>> Oppen Office produced pdf files? In a way which allows the OS to know.
>> If it is possible, I'd like it for TeXworks.
>
> [lots of interesting facts about Mac OS X]
>
> But that's probably all immaterial as it seems Mac-specific. I thought
> Windows, at least since Vista, included mechanisms going beyond
> extension matching, but maybe not.

I don't know about Vista. Earlier Windows versions included only an
extension based mechanism, AFAIK.
FWIW: Linux seems to be based on mime types. While the way to determine
a file's mime type is rather sophisticated/complex (including, but not
limited to the extension; includes magic numbers, file parsing, etc.),
all pdf files essentially share the same mime type, regardless of what
application they were created with. So there will probably not be an
easy way to implement this. Plus, Qt doesn't support it yet, AFAIK.

But there's a light at the end of the tunnel. At least on Windows and
Linux, it's possible to add applications to the context menu. That means
that as a default, pdfs are opened with your average viewer, but when
you right-click on them (that would correspond to cmd+click or alt+click
or something on Mac) you get the context menu allowing you to open the
file with out favorite TeX editor (TW, of course ;)). This is off-topic
here, however, as this doesn't influence the choice of icon and this is
an icon thread ;).