[texworks] new Mac binary posted - testing welcome

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 11:00:47 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 06:28, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> Le 10 juil. 09 à 02:39, Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :

>>> It might be, but that's irrelevant; Mac applications are not started
>>> from a command line. Most users wouldn't even know how to do so.
>>
>> Yes, of course.  But I thought that binaries for different platforms
>> are derived from the same sources.  I don't have only Mac in mind.
>
> You can indeed start TeXworks from the command line, but that's entirely
> dependent of where you put the .app application bundle (can be anywhere
> AFAIK).
>
> For example, assuming the user puts TeXworks.app in /Applications/TeX/ as
> the MacTeX-2009 installer does, then TeXworks can be started in Terminal as
>
>        /Applications/TeX/TeXworks.app/Contents/MacOS/TeXworks
>
> and in this case when you press Cmd-O to print up the Open File dialog, then
> yes the dialog starts in the working directory (the one in which you were in
> Terminal before launching TeXworks as above).
>
> But, as Jonathan points out, that's all a very unnatural thing to do for a
> Mac user (having been one myself since 1987 or 1988).

That's entirely true for a Mac user, but not so true for a TeX user.

I constantly use "cd /somewhere" and then "mate ." with
    /usr/bin/mate -> /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/Resources/mate
(I think that there's a checkbox in TextMate that installs a shortcut).

If .tex files are associated with TeXworks then
    open somefile.tex
does start TeXworks from terminal and that is a much more natural way
to use than running
    /Applications/long/way/to/go
But then I agree that this is all necessary when using non-adapted

But in either case ... I consider it much more important *not to start
in /Applications* each time when a new file should be saved than to
implement being in current folder. The two cases are related though,
so maybe it makes sense to fix both at the same time.

And yes - I would expect the program to remember where I have last
saved my files (or from where I have opened them).

------

For a normal usage I would also miss tabs and tiny optional file
browser a lot (maybe I'm a weird user, but the tabs is firefox was the
main reason for me to abandon IE entirely, and it text editor I
usually keep about a dozen files open as well).

Mojca