[texworks] new Mac binary posted - testing welcome

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Fri Jul 10 11:50:00 CEST 2009

Le 10 juil. 09 à 11:00, Mojca Miklavec a écrit :

> If .tex files are associated with TeXworks then
>    open somefile.tex
> does start TeXworks from terminal and that is a much more natural way
> to use than running
>    /Applications/long/way/to/go
> But then I agree that this is all necessary when using non-adapted

Thanks, I had forgotten about the "open" command, that's indeed very
convenient.

BTW, is there a command-line way to define the default application for
a given file extension (or UTI, I don't know what's used internally by
OS X), other than the Get Info window in the Finder?

> But in either case ... I consider it much more important *not to start
> in /Applications* each time when a new file should be saved than to
> implement being in current folder. The two cases are related though,
> so maybe it makes sense to fix both at the same time.
>
> And yes - I would expect the program to remember where I have last
> saved my files (or from where I have opened them).

Agreed too. I don't remember exactly, but I thought most programs
behaved this way already, including TeXworks.

With one notable exception: Preview. It's rather irritating, when
opening a file in Preview to convert it to another graphics format,
and pressing Save as, to have the Save dialog open in ~ whatever the
directory the original file lives in, so every time and for every file
you have to navigate manually back to this directory if you want to
save the converted file there (which seems a logical thing to do).

> For a normal usage I would also miss tabs and tiny optional file
> browser a lot (maybe I'm a weird user, but the tabs is firefox was the
> main reason for me to abandon IE entirely, and it text editor I
> usually keep about a dozen files open as well).

I'm also using tabs a lot now that it's been introduced in Illustrator
CS4.

Bruno