[texworks] Beginners' needs (was: Lua scripting)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Thu Jun 18 10:36:25 CEST 2009

Le 18 juin 09 à 00:18, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard a écrit :

> I don't agree. This is related to texworks because you have to
> select the
> typesetting mode (pdftex, pdflatex, xelatex, etc) and most users
> won't worry
> about this before they actually have to select it.
>
> And, as a general rule, I don't think help documents should be
> available before
> install xor after install, but both before and after.

More important than this, and related to what David Perry said in his
messages, is the careful choice of default settings, so that the user
may start to use the software at once without even knowing that there
are choices to be made (and without having to read any help documents
beforehand).

Then the user might later (or never) want to know more, explore the
prefs and dig through the help or manual (my preferred choice) to see
what the various pref settings mean.

I don't remember exactly the source or wording, but I read recently
some discussion of GUI on the web, saying in essence that a user must
never ever be asked to pick up a setting (for example at installation
or first launch) before she has had the opportunity to use the
software and then experiment with the effects of the various available
choices for this setting, to see first hand what the setting actually
implies.

Bruno Voisin