[texworks] ini path

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 22 21:12:42 CET 2009

On 22 Mar 2009, at 09:13, Alain Delmotte wrote:

> Hi!
>
> perhaps I did not understand well!! (Most probably)
> "texworks-setup.ini" points to the TeXworks folder in which, in TUG,
> is the "texworks.ini" file, and it should be in that file that we
> define "defaultbinpaths".
> This allows to force using texworks.ini!
> Am I correct now?

No, that doesn't sound right. texworks-setup.ini, which is used if
(and only if) it is found alongside the executable, supports three keys:

   inipath
       path to store the main preferences file, in .ini format;
       if not specified, prefs are stored in a platform-dependent
format and location

   libpath
       path to the user-modifiable texworks configuration resources;
       if not specified, the default location is a "TeXworks" or
".TeXworks" folder
       in the user's home directory (exact details platform-dependent)

   defaultbinpaths
       initial default paths for tool binaries;
       if not specified, compiled-in defaults will be used;
       in any case, non-existent paths will be discarded, and paths
set in Preferences
       will override the defaults

So if you want to force the use of a texworks.ini file for the
preferences, you should set "inipath" in texworks-setup.ini. (In this
case, you could also provide a preconfigured texworks.ini itself, in
the specified location; this could contain bin paths, among other
things.)

I think the important point about "defaultbinpaths", though, is that
it can set the default binary paths even if you're not providing a
preconfigured texworks.ini (e.g., on a multi-user system, where each
user should have separately-stored preferences so you can't set
inipath to a single, shared location).

Of course, most users should never have to worry about this. Either
they install TeXworks separately from a TeX distribution, in which
case they may have to configure paths as a one-time setup operation if
the compiled-in defaults don't work for their system; or they get it
as part of a larger distribution, in which case the packager should
provide a texworks-setup.ini file with appropriate defaultbinpaths for
the distro, so that everything works right away.

Hope that makes sense....

JK