[texworks] integrating TeX Works into TeX Live

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Mon Mar 16 01:50:38 CET 2009

Le 15 mars 09 à 23:16, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> On 15 Mar 2009, at 21:34, Karl Berry wrote:
>
>> Jonathan, are you there :)?
>
> Yes, and listening. :)

Not being a programmer myself I did not dare say much here, but I have
a hard time figuring out how all that's been proposed can fit within
the specific way GUI programs are installed and work on each OS.

For example, on the Mac TeXworks live in either of (the first taking
precedence over the second)

~/Applications
/Applications

pref files in

~/Library/Preferences
/Library/Preferences

dictionaries and the like in (personally I think /Library/Application
Support/TeXworks would be more conforment to Apple's guidelines, but
that's another, really minor, story)

~/Library/TeXworks
/Library/TeXworks

libraries in

~/Library/Frameworks
/Library/Frameworks

If a TeXLive-based install can't support this, then modifying TeXworks
so that it can be installed through it would be a step backward, like
reducing TeXworks to a lowest common denominator instead of allowing
it to take full advantage of each platform's capabilities. At least, I
hope this wouldn't mean TeXworks would have to be launched exclusively
through the command-line and wouldn't forbid use of double-click in
the Finder or click in the Dock.

Similarly, if TeXworks is installed on Windows via TeXLive, will it
still be possible afterwards to uninstall and reinstall it via the
Install/Uninstall configuration panel? And to incorporate it when
creating system restoration points?

Bruno Voisin