[texworks] integrating TeX Works into TeX Live

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Mar 10 19:40:56 CET 2009

On Di, 10 Mär 2009, Stefan Löffler wrote:
> I think this would be a great idea for TeXworks to gain popularity.
> Please include Linux, too, though ;).

Nup, impossible for now, maybe later. We cannot ship binaries for all
(about 14) supported platforms. There is not only linux, but bsd etc
etc. This is for now primary for W32 people used to get an IDE. On all
the Unix there are several easily installable options.
The problem with providing binaries for linux is already with what
linux, distribution, libraries ... already for texlive core binaries
that is difficult.

Sorry, now. Ask you system  provider.

> So that archive would have to contain all the files that should be
> placed in <path-to-texlive-root>/texlive/TeXworks, right? Executable,
> libraries and all?

Exactely, the zip folder for W32.

> I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. TeXworks as it is right now
> initially comes without any configuration at all, although some standard
> values are guessed during first launch and the config file you mention

That is the point. It does not find the executables on systems, I
suppose. But honestly, I haven't tested on Windows. I guess I have to
just try it in my vm.

> I have no experience with TL packaging, but would it be possible to run
> some kind of script (shell/perl/batch/whatever) during or after

It is.

> installation? If so, we could simply create the config file on the fly
> and copy it to the directory TeXworks looks in.

The problem is that the config files are stored in the users' home
directories, and we cannot write to all users in all installations ...

> Another question is how updates are handled. TeXworks is still under
> development and while it is usable (actually, I think it's great ;)),
> there are enhancements/bug fixes from time to time.

On Windows we can update it the usual way. We will see.

Best wishes

Norbert