[texworks] Building TeXworks on WinXP

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 16:02:32 CET 2009

Hi Alain,

On 2009-01-25 10:16, Alain Delmotte wrote:

> At compilation I was asked to save the "TeXworks.sln" file, which I
> did (perhaps a note to be added to the instructions, I do not remember
> seeing that the first time); and compilation went very fast and succeeded.

You should have been asked that (once) during the initial build as well.
It doesn't actually matter if you save the solution or not (it's
intended for larger projects that consist of several independent
programs/libraries and is not necessary for TeXworks at the moment). I
included removing the solution files in the update process however
because I don't know if MSVC recognizes the (possibly) updated project
files otherwise.
Anyway, I added a note to both the initial build instructions and the
update instructions.
BTW: It'd better be fast. Unless you drastically change something (or
some pivotal files have changed) the compiler can reuse previously
compiled files (with the extension .obj which are probably located in
the src directory). This way only very few files need to be recompiled,
so what remains is just relinking the application.

> Now one remark, for the update you write:
> =============
> Then run
> {{{
> svn update
> qmake -tp vcapp
> }}}
> =============
> it should be: "qmake -tp vc" like for the first creation, "vcapp"
> doesn't work!! Your very first instruction (in the orginal document)
> was: "qmake -t vcapp"
> (Or perhaps I mistyped!!)

Yep, you're right, thx. In fact there are two possible invocations: "-t
vcapp" and "-tp vc". The former overrides whatever is stored in the .pro
file and uses "vcapp" instead. The latter prepends vc, so if there is a
"app" template used in the .pro file (this is the case for TeXworks) it
is turned into "vcapp". It it would be "lib" that would be turned into
"vclib". I originally used the complete override but changed it in favor
of the more dynamic prepending behavior. In the line you quoted I
apparently mixed both :(.

Thanks for the testing!