[texworks] Possible problem with the Windows version

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 08:06:38 CET 2009

Hi,

On 2009-01-21 18:40, Alain Delmotte wrote:
> I decided to update the version of TeXworks I have on my portable
> (Windows XP SP3 as my main machine) using the new version I compiled
> following the instructions of Stefan (see previous posts - MSVC 2008).

What operating system do you have on your portable? Is it a "normal"
version of Windows or some CE version (for the latter some changes to
the build process may be necessary).

> I copied everything which was in the c:\Program Files\TeXworks folder
> on the main to the same folder on the portable.
> When I want to start TeXworks I get an error message:
> "This application could not start because the configuration is not
> correct. Re-installing the aplication could solve the problem"
> Erasing the TeXworks folder created by TeXworks at first start did not
> help.
>
> Does the system requires some components which were used during
> compilation, present on my main machine (on which I compiled) and not
> present on the portable? Or is it another problem (MSVC 2008??)?

I don't think that this is a MSVC 2008 problem (though using 2005 is
probably the far better option as mentioned elsewhere). Of course you
need to make sure that all dlls (Qt, poppler, hunspell, etc.) are copied
along with it. They may not have been present in your compilation
directory (depending on your configuration), but there is a section
about them in the guide. In addition to those you'll also need the MSVC
runtime libraries. Your MSVC installation directory should contain a
file called "redist.txt" which states the dlls you need and how to
distribute them in a license-compatible way. In essence you probably
want to copy the folder
<your_path_to_msvc>\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC80.CRT into your TeXworks
directory (if you use an x86 processor). This should also include the
manifest file that the application needs to start up (and which probably
caused your error message which doesn't look like a missing dll).
If all this doesn't help you could use http://dependencywalker.com/
(which may be included in MSVC, I don't know) to track the dlls your
build of TeXworks needs and check if they are present on your target
computer.

Hope this helps