[texworks] Putting "smart quotes" in TeXworks

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Dec 7 15:51:17 CET 2008

On Dec 7, 2008, at 8:35 AM, Iwan Setyawan wrote:

> Currently I add an entry in the auto-completion list so I'll type "-
> TAB to
> get a smart quote.
>
> I have another question: I notice that in the tw-latex.txt file, most
> entries ends with some characters that shows up in my copy of
> TeXworks as
> small circle (like the one produced by \bullet). I notice that for
> some
> environments, for example tabular, this will add an extra line
> (i.e., let's
> say I'm going to make a table with 4 rows. If I use the auto-
> completion,
> I'll end up with a table with 5 rows). Is this intentional? I see
> this both
> in Windows and Ubuntu.
>
> - Iwan

Howdy,

If I write

btab

and press TAB I get

\begin{tabular}{}
\end{tabular}•

with the cursor (point) between the empty braces, ready to enter a
column specifier. Once that is done I can press Opt-TAB on the Mac and
the cursor jumps and selects the bullet, ready to enter a row (since
the bullet is selected I just have to start typing to delete the
bullet). After I'm done adding rows I type Opt-TAB and the bullet at
the end of the environment gets selected so typing a Return removes
that bullet and goes to the next line. If I skip over a bullet I can
select it backwards by adding the Shift key to the shortcut, Shift-Opt-
TAB. On Windows (and Linux?) I'd guess the keyboard shortcut is Alt-
TAB and Shift-Alt-TAB (Opt on the Mac is roughly equivalent to Alt)
but it seems the Alt-TAB (and Shift-Alt-TAB) get intercepted by the
Windows OS so I have no idea what the shortcuts are there.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)