[texworks] New binaries available [was: Re: Hot keys / templates]

Jérome Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Fri Nov 28 15:07:56 CET 2008

Le 26 nov. 08 à 19:10, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> On 27 Nov 2008, at 06:30, Alain Delmotte wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Peter Wüsten a écrit :
>>> Alain, the white spaces never made any difference on my windows
>>> machine (XP professional SP3 German), but the Umlaut in the user-
>>> path did. Try adding a user whose name contains only ASCII-
>>> characters, and see if spell-checking works properly when Texworks
>>> is intalled for that user.
>> I tried the system on another computer running Windows XP, same
>> mikTeX,...
>> The only difference is that the folder for the user doesn't have
>> accented characters like ...\HP_Propriétaire\... *and* both
>> spellcheck and  forward/inverse search now run OK.
>> This problem is unfortunate because I do not see how to change this
>> because there are too many things linked to the user name (llinks,
>> shorcuts, programs and programs config,...)
>
> Sure -- this isn't your problem, it's a bug that I need to fix, now
> that we realize what's causing it. I've been really puzzled why
> these things didn't work for you, when others seemed to have no
> trouble with them, but now things make more sense.

IIRC, the same bug occurs in SyncTeX.
It seems to show that there is something wrong at the I/O level.
In C I/O routines on Mac OS X, file names are encoded as UTF8, I could
not find any evidence that the same holds for windows.
Regarding the time I spent to debug SyncTeX on windows, finding out
why compressed files were not accepted,
I am really reluctant in spending even more time to find the bug with
accented letters.

Jérôme