[texworks] Some questions/comment

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Nov 28 01:07:19 CET 2008

On Nov 27, 2008, at 5:21 PM, Karl Berry wrote:

>    Simpdftex is a perl program
>
> The simpdftex that is in TeX Live is a Bourne shell script, not Perl.
> So it won't run on Windows (except maybe Cygwin).
>
>    $dvips_pdf_switch = '-Poutline';

Howdy,

Thanks, I didn't know what the default was and at least it does no harm.

> Not that it matters, but that should not have been necessary to
> specify
> explicitly for years now.
>
>    $ps2pdf = 'ps2pdf14 %O %S %D';
>    $dvips = 'dvips -R0 %O -o %D %S';
>

> Shouldn't both of these be the default in latexmk as well?  (Not that
> I've looked.)  Well, I can imagine the default is "ps2pdf" instead of
> "ps2pdf14" and no "-R0", but that should be ok.
>
> Thanks,
> karl

The default is ps2pdf which is the same a ps2pdf13. I've run into
cases where pdf v1.4 is required by a publication (why?) or for some
its features.

I've always used the -R0 so absolute path names can be used. Not
really needed unless you have graphics files in a particular folder.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)