[texworks] new binaries for Windows and Mac OS X

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Oct 28 12:04:28 CET 2008

On 28 oct. 08, at 00:33, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le Oct 27, 2008 à 4:38 PM, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> I still can't figure out why it would ignore the Preferences
>> setting, though, as that should override the system/default locale.
>
> Eureka! It seems what's taking over here is the chosen region for
> dates, times and numbers in System Preferences > International >
> Formats, regardless of the chosen language in System Preferences >
> International > Language. This region seems to correspond to the
> LANG environment variable.
>
> So when the region is United States, corresponding to
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8, the TeXworks locale is indeed defined through
> TeXworks' preferences. But when the region format is France,
> TeXworks' preference is ignored.

OK, I have finally grasped what's going on, and reproduced the
behavior you're describing.

I believe you'll find that (when the region format is French),
TeXworks will still respect other choices in Preferences (try setting
the interface to German, for example). But if it is set to the default
"English", it will actually launch in French. Changing the Prefs to a
different language, and then back to English, you'll get the English
interface -- but only temporarily, until you quit. On next launch it
will again be French.

I'll fix this now that I understand it! Sorry it's taken me so long.

> This is all the more confusing as I'm currently in San Diego, CA
> instead of Grenoble, France, so I already don't know very well any
> longer what my language and environment are ;-)

Mexican/Spanish? :-) Oh, we don't have that localization yet....

JK