[texworks] new binaries for Windows and Mac OS X

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Mon Oct 27 23:10:04 CET 2008

On 27 Oct 2008, at 9:45 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> On 27 oct. 08, at 12:57, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> The intended behavior is that TeXworks should always respect the
>> language chosen in Preferences / General / Interface Locale, though
>> note that you may still see bits of English when a non-English
>> locale is selected because the translations might not be complete,
>> and there are a few strings (such as syntax coloring and auto-
>> indent option names) that are not currently localizable.
>>
>> If there is no preference file (org.tug.TeXworks.plist on the Mac),
>> then TeXworks should look at the system locale on startup, and
>> default to this if a matching translation is available. But as soon
>> as you pick a language in Preferences, this should override the
>> system locale.
>
> What's happening is a mystery to me. Even after deleting ~/Library/
> TeXworks and ~/Library/Preferences/org.tug.TeXworks.plist, then
> reinstalling TeXworks from scratch, switching the system locale to
> English, and selecting the "English (built-in)" locale in TeXworks,
> TeXworks still has French menus.

Do you have any language-related environment variables set (e.g., via
the infamous ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist)? What does "printenv" show,
when executed in Terminal?

> Two odd things:
>
> - Opening org.tug.TeXworks.plist in Property List Editor, the
> language item is of class String and has value Aucun (the French for
> None).

The "language" setting here is the default spell-check language for
the editor, which is independent of the interface language (locale).
So this confirms that TeXworks was indeed using French when it saved
that setting, but it doesn't give any clue why.

> - In the newly recreated ~/Library/TeXworks, the translations folder
> is empty. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think earlier this morning,
> before experimenting with locale selection, there used to be files
> there. I cannot get TeXworks to recreate a non-empty translations
> folder.

This is OK. TeXworks used to copy the built-in translations to this
folder, and then use those; it now uses the built-in ones directly,
and the translations folder would only be needed for add-ins (in
principle, you could create and add a translation without recompiling
the binary).

> In a desperate attempt to figure out what's happening, I checked the
> Qt libraries in /Libraries/Frameworks and the hunspell and poppler
> libraries in /usr/local/lib: none of the files there seems to have
> ever been modified. I thought maybe there was some Qt configuration
> file somewhere which had mistakenly been set to French during the
> experimentation, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Still mystified........

JK