[texworks] [Windows] Find again/Replace/Go to: Key bindings

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Thu Sep 4 14:06:59 CEST 2008

Hello all,

I was wondering about the current key binding for "Find again".  Ctrl-F
for "Find" is pretty much universal on Windows, whereas "Find again" is
more variable.  However, a number of the system tools (Registry Editor,
Notepad, Wordpad) use F3 for this function.  The same is true for my
usual editor of choice (WinEdt). At the same time, Ctrl-G is often used
for "Go to" to jump to a given line (see for example Notepad or WinEdt,
or more extended options in Word).

Although Ctrl-R seems logical for "Replace", the most common key binding
is Ctrl-H (again Word and Notepad agree here).  This one seems rather
odd (I think it is because of key placement), but is at least worth
bearing in mind.

I'm not sure on the conventions on other systems, but on Windows:

Ctrl-F = Find
Ctrl-G = (Go to, if implemented)
Ctrl-R = Replace
F3     = Find again

would seem most consistent with other apps to me. (As I say, I don't see
the point of Ctrl-H = Replace).
--
Joseph Wright