[texworks] More ideas: bookmarks

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Sep 3 21:11:41 CEST 2008

2008/9/3 Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk>:
> Dave Crossland wrote:
>> 2008/9/3 Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk>:
>>> I've been keeping an eye on the features of my current editor that I
>>> miss in TeXworks.  I've mentioned a few things, but I notice I missed
>>> out the ability to bookmark lines.  In long files, being able to quickly
>>> flick between different places is very handy.  Would this be useful in
>>> TeXworks?  I find it more useful than any kind of tree view.
>>
>> Perhaps this could be an extension of having 'synctex' style linkage
>> between the PDF bookmarks (often displayed as a tree in a left hand
>> side pane in PDF viewers) and the .ltx source.
>>

> In my usual sources (DTX files) I don't have any PDF bookmarks near
> where I need to be.  Hence I want something marking the source.  Note
> this is dynamic - I'm not bothered about saving the bookmarks between
> sessions.

What I meant is that the PDF window could have a bookmark pane added,
as is seen in most PDF viewers, and then the source window could have
a tree panel mirroring that that jumps around the source. And then
some special comment line like

%%% TWBM bookmark name string

could add extra nodes to the source tree that aren't in the PDF.

--
Regards,
Dave

"Nothing would please me more than being able to hire ten programmers
and deluge the hobby market with good software."
- Bill Gates, 1976, in want of www.gnuherds.org