[texshop] Line numbers in the edit window

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Mon Oct 17 12:23:29 CEST 2022

(Just a note to anybody considering answering this message: if you wish to answer to the list, not just me, make sure to use Reply-All not Reply. I almost forgot, again, and remembered at the last minute when I was about to press Send.)

> On 16 Oct 2022, at 15:11, Stephen Moye via texshop <texshop at tug.org> wrote:
>
> To my (admittedly aging) eyes the line numbers in the edit window are vanishingly small, virtually invisible, and certainly illegible. I have searched in vain in TeXshop.plist, CommentLines.pdf (contains information on hidden preferences) and StackExchange — all to no avail. How can Gentle User make the line numbers larger?

The line number size seems hardcoded in TeXShop's source, you cannot set it in the prefs, I think.

User's view
===========

I looked how things work in four editors that display line numbers:

- Two TeX-specific: TeXShop, Texifier (formerly Texpad).

- Two general-purpose: BBEdit, Xcode.

In the first two the line number size is fixed, in the last two it grows with the text size.

See the attached screenshots:

- TeXShop upper left, Texifier upper right, BBEdit lower left, Xcode lower right.

- Text size 18 pt.

- TeXShop and BBEdit use Menlo, Texifier Source Code Pro, Xcode SF Mono.

Something I never think about using is the Accessibility System Pref. I think Herb Schulz has some significant experience with it, maybe there's a way to use this pref to make line numbers more visible?

Programmer's view
==================

Looking at TeXShop's source, the line number code

NoodleLineNumberMarker.h
NoodleLineNumberMarker.m
NoodleLineNumberView.h
NoodleLineNumberView.m

has been borrowed from Paul Kim <https://www.noodlesoft.com/> who described it in a blog post

http://www.noodlesoft.com/blog/2008/10/05/displaying-line-numbers-with-nstextview/

The code now lives at

https://github.com/MrNoodle/NoodleKit

and seems not to have changed since it was posted 13 years ago. The only issue there was posted by Dick Koch.

Maybe there's a way to modify this code so that the line numbers grow with the text size?

Bruno