[texshop] TeXShop 4.13

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Oct 13 16:57:53 CEST 2018

> On Oct 13, 2018, at 8:46 AM, Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
> Apple's documentation says:
>
> --------
>
> Instance Property
>
> headIndent
>
> The indentation of the receiver's lines other than the first.
>
> 	@property(readonly) CGFloat headIndent;
>
> This property contains the distance (in points) from the leading margin of a text container to the beginning of lines other than the first. This value is always nonnegative.
>
> ---------
>
> However, finding a definition of "points" is hard. I did discover an entry called
>
> 	NSRulerView.UnitName
>
> This variable has four values:
>
> 	centimeters
> 	inches
> 	picas
> 	points
>
> Each is a link, leading to no information.
>
> That's what I know. It is not like there is a secret definition I'm keeping hidden.
>
> Dick

Howdy,

If I had to guess ``points'' means bp, big points (72points/in), in TeX talk.

I'm not sure that a space is the same width as the point size of a font (e.g., Menlo 12pt) even in a mono-spaced font as usually used in a text editor; e.g., I use Menlo Regular 14pt in Apple Mail and TeXShop and the M certainly is taller than it's width.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)