[texshop] Console Problem(?)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sat Dec 1 22:04:20 CET 2018

> On 1 Dec 2018, at 17:11, Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 1, 2018, at 6:33 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>> In case folks here aren't following the `Mac OS X TeX' list I want to note that several folks have reported a spurious (the worst kind!) problem where output to the Console in TeXshop window stops.
>>
>> I've seen this occasionally happen on my system and processing seems to stop. I then abort, clean up the files and re-compile with no problem. Others say that processing seems to complete even though the Console doesn't report the output.
>>
>> I never saw this before Mojave so I think it's a bug in Mojave but I'm not sure.
>
> I have never seen the problem on my machine, so currently there is nothing I can do. If processing "just stops", that would be a Mojave bug. But if the problem is simply that output to the console stops, there is something users can do that would be extremely helpful.
>
> 	a) Make a screen image of the console after it stops
>
> 	b) Send me this image, the log file, and the exact engine used to typeset.
>
> By engine, I'm interested in whether this happens with ordinary pdflatex, or xelatex, or lualatex. But also I'm interested if it happens by calling that engine as usual, or with a script that does other things before or after.

I've seen this for some time too. I had the impression this started before Mojave, say over a year ago, but unfortunately I didn't investigate nor report then, and didn't try to keep track either, so I can't say whether this was with pdfTeX or LuaTeX or XeTeX, or even when it started.

Usually console output just stops, in the middle of regular output (not error, not warning). I can't say for sure, but if memory serves well, typesetting just stops: waiting several minutes doesn't help, nothing happens. So I usually just launch a new typesetting, and everything works right this time.

This is all within TeXShop by the way, clicking on the Typeset button or pressing Cmd-T, not using a script. And again, if memory serves right, this is during regular typesetting, not during a dvips or ps2pdf run.

Unfortunately I'm not doing much TeX right now, and probably won't before January or February next year, so there's little chance I see this again soon.

Bruno