Not off-topic: Wrong couple divorced after computer error by law firm Vardag's

Paulo Ney de Souza pauloney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 19:40:09 CEST 2024

On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 6:13 AM Kaveh Bazargan <kaveh at rivervalley.io> wrote:

> The above article is not Open Access, so I can only comment on what I see
> here...

You are right. Elsevier had it labelled Open Access all over, but alas it
is not.

> The PDF line width is narrower and as you say it is justified, so harder
> to get good looking lines.

It is not all that hard. In fact, this text is ultra-easy, but needs hand
intervention.

> So most of the issues above are TeX style issues. It would even be
> possible to have a filter that would automatically tie "A" to the next word
> at the beginning of a sentence if that is what is required.

I do not see how a "TeX style" would change anything or even how it would
treat this text and tons of others any differently. Good line breaks are
obtained by hand with interword separation, struts, kerning, tracking ...

[image: Screenshot from 2024-04-25 22-33-17.png]

>> but ignore it on the second occurrence of the same thing:
>>

>> [image: Screenshot from 2024-04-25 22-29-35.png]
>>

> The points you make regarding the above I feel are not major, compared to
> many other problems that published articles have. I think that if
> the MathML is correctly structured it is possible to use "left" and "right"
> for brackets automatically. And the tilde, perhaps an automated filter too.
> But to my eye the tilde is not a major problem. Your standards are probably
> higher than most!

Yes, there are solutions for every single one  of them -- but they are not
used -- even by the largest publisher in the world, in journals of very
high visibility.

The typography of eBooks on the Kindle, iPads and standard applications on
Android are pure junk, and even Chrome is ahead of them in
implementing Knuth--Plass. Observe that these guys have almost infinite
resources at their disposal.

What one needs here is the easy handling of typographical issues, so they
can be adopted -- and XML stands in their way.

>> Here is an article:
>>
>> Classification générique de synthèses temps minimales avec cible de
>> codimension un et applications
>> B. Bonnard, G. Launay, M. Pelletier
>> https://doi.org/10.1016/S0294-1449(97)80149-7
>>
>> that runs 48 pages without a SINGLE hyphenation for line break. I have
>> never seen anything like that.
>>

> Quite common and again simple style file problem I would say.

Oh my! Gods have pity on us. If this is a "simple" style file problem --
why does it NOT get done???

It does look like someone typeset the article in English, saw the many
>> erroneous line-breaks and instead of going back and changing the language,
>> they went back and inserted \sloppy at the top of the file. We are only
>> humans, and when one has a hammer everything in the world looks like a nail.
>>
>> Inserting directives for kerning, tracking, etc ... in XML to be used by
>> TeX rendering is a shitty job and most people are willing to ditch it.
>>

> In my opinion, the content should be structured correctly in the XML and
> we so what we can to automate kerning etc in the rendering stage.

I don't think the automation you imagine exists.

But what is the solution? We cannot have TeX files as the source,
> because TeX is not structured. It is for typesetting. So we need simple
> tagging for content and the best possible rendering with minimal manual
> work. I have learned to live with slightly bigger or smaller brackets, but
> ensuring truly futureproof content.

I don't think the solution exists yet. Of course structuring is a must, and
so is preservation. There are a lot of people working around structuring
TeX: GELLMU, plasTeX, ConTeXt, LaTeX3, ... and that is likely one answer
that could lead to preservation.

The arguments I am hearing now for displaying XML generated content
rendered by TeX is

        that is what we have and what we need

which mirrors very close the argument pushed on us for books typeset in
typewriters in the 70's.

Paulo Ney