Not off-topic: Wrong couple divorced after computer error by law firm Vardag's (Erik Nijenhuis)

Erik Nijenhuis erik at xerdi.com
Wed Apr 24 16:58:34 CEST 2024

> I haven't seen a legal document that uses fine typography. I am
> pretty
> asure some exist.
I've created all my terms and contracts in LaTeX.
You can take a glance at my terms and conditions on (sorry for the
Dutch):
        https://xerdi.com/terms-and-conditions.pdf

For some simple legal documents, I would use Markdown as input source.
I find XML way to technical for legal authors. Secondly, Markdown is a
perfect choice for documents containing large amounts of texts, due to
its readability.

However, there are some downsides of using Markdown, like robust
referencing and labeling to other legal documents. I've solved that by using the
option hybrid for markdown and using \aref of package regulatory directly in
Markdown. The package is based on Dutch legal structures and terms, though.

Lastly, I use YAML for user-input (which client, which rate, etc.). To
give an idea, one YAML file results in the full compilation of a
proposal (typical letter class), an assignment agreement (typical legal
document class), and the underlying terms and conditions (also typical
legal document class). Then the assignment agreement is attached onto
the proposal, and the terms and conditions is attached to the
assignment agreement, making all hyperlinked references fully
functional across all documents.

For the archiving matter, I trust on PDF/A-1b compliance using package pdfx.
Don't know why people would use XML for such a subject. Querying or something?

@Boris
> I have had several customers  from the legal profession.  They were
> attracted both by the fine typography and by the cross-referencing &
> citation possibilities of LaTeX.
Would package regulatory be benificial for those customers?
I could widen the scope beyond legal documents for Dutch, if necessary.

Erik Nijenhuis | Xerdi
Software Engineer

A:​ Frans Halsstraat 38
 8932 JC, Leeuwarden