comp.text.tex

Juergen Fenn jfenn at gmx.net
Sun Nov 12 22:22:48 CET 2023

Am 12.11.23 um 04:13 Uhr schrieb Bob Tennent:
>> What happens to comp.text.tex is entirely up to Google. -k
>
> Why is that?

AFAICS, Big 8 management is dead. What's more, it does not handle
spamming. Usenet is a decentralised network of nntp servers synching one
another. Google provides a kind of gateway to the usenet. Every server
admin decides how to handle his own server when it comes to holding
groups, peering, cancelling messages, or even spam management. In this
case all spam has come from Google, so far. Some servers have blocked
all messages from Google for about a week. But since usenet is so vast
it is hard to watch, which is by design. OTOH, it is also hard to
censor. As there are fewer and fewer nntp servers left, and most
postings are coming in from Google by now, Karl is de facto right that
in the end it is up to Google if they are willing to keep this very open
network alive or whether they just let it happen to be flooded by spam
messages as we have seen of late. In this respect, usenet fails by
design. However, my usenet provider seems to become quicker on
filtering. This makes me hope for the future of our groups.

Regards,
Jürgen.